With Republicans running out of segments of society to hate all over, what’s a party to do? Go after kids and young adults, of course; and what better way than dragging out the ever popular GOP Not Patriotic Enough For Our Liking List? So who makes the list this time but a 15 year old girl. A 15 year old Olympic gold medal winner, I might add.
Why you ask? Well it seems that she should have worn a red, white and blue outfit for a recent Olympic event instead of a pink one. You read that right: 15 year old Gabby Douglas wore a pink outfit at the Olympics, so 2 Republican party faithful went all stupid over it, trivializing everything she’s achieved at her young age.
According to Think Progress,
Douglas’ pink leotard, Fox host Alisyn Camerota lamented, was emblematic of an Olympic “trend” … of athletes wearing colors that don’t appear on the American flag.
“Some folks have noticed that the American athletes’ uniforms don’t carry the stars and stripes look as much as they have in past years,” Camerota complained.
Radio host/Tea Partier David Webb…chimed in with a sad tome about how America has “lost over time that jingoistic feeling” because “a soft anti-American feeling that Americans can’t show their exceptionalism… I’m proud to be an American!”
You’re also obviously proud to be a major ass, David.
Here’s what Gabby Douglas has accomplished in gymnastics by the age of 15:
- At age 8, won the Level 4 all-around gymnastics title at the 2004 Virginia State Championships.
- 2010 Age 13
- third on balance beam, 6th on vault and 9th all-around in the junior division at the Cover Girl Classic
- silver medal on balance beam, fourth all-around and on vault, tied for eighth on floor exercise at the U.S. Junior National Championships
- Won the uneven bars title, and a share of the U.S. team gold medal, while also placing fifth all-around at Pan American Championships
- 2011 Age 14
- fourth in the all around competition in Italy.
- second on uneven bars at the Cover Girl Classic
- seventh in the all around competition, tied for third on uneven bars at U.S. National Championship
- fifth on uneven bars at the World Championships in Japan
- 2012 Age 15
- highest total all-around score in the women’s competition, ahead of her teammate and current world champion Jordyn Wieber at the AT&T American Cup
- gold in uneven bars at the Pacific Rim Championships
- gold medal in uneven bars, silver in the all-around, and bronze in floor at the U.S. National Championships
- 2 Olympic Gold Medals in London including a gold medal in the individual all-around, becoming the first African-American woman and first woman of color to win the event.
Here’s what David Webb has accomplished:
- He’s a Tea Partier
- He talks on the radio
- He talks on TV
- He champions jingoism, which is “…extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy, a country’s advocation of the use of threats or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests…refers to excessive bias in judging one’s own country as superior to others – an extreme type of nationalism.
- Oh yeah, and he questions young girls’ patriotism
Too bad there’s no Olympic medal for stupidity.
Congratulations Gabby; pay no attention to small minds, you make America proud.