I’ve seen post after post, comment after comment, written by conservative bloggers and the corporate media claiming that Democrats are incorrectly labeling assault rifles as “assault rifles”. The claim is that assault rifles are automatic weapons and the semi-automatic, military-style weapons like the AR15 are not assault rifles. They would rather call them “tactical rifles” or “semi-automatic” rifles or any name that gets around an assault weapons ban (I don’t care if you call it “Obama’s Limited Edition Tactical Rifle”, I would still support banning it). Their entire argument is a lie and they know it as they are typing the words. But they continue to spread the lie and then claim a false victory for, in their minds, winning the debate.
Some examples of the right’s myth spreading:
- Polymic – “… there is really no such thing as an ‘assault rifle.'”
- Canada Free Press – “I have concluded the term ‘assault rifle/weapon’ is just another term from the vast and numerous volumes of liberal Bovine Scatology phrases used by the left to terrorize the weak-minded and undereducated graduates of the US public education system—which is darn near everybody these days.”
- Just Plain Politics – “There is no such thing as an ‘assault’ rifle.”
- Liberal Dogma – “There is no such thing as an ‘Assault Weapon/Rifle/Gun’; it is a phrase made up by anti-gun lawyers … “
- SodaHead – “There’s no such thing as an ‘assault rifle’; it’s just a politically-motivated term made up by liberals for use in forwarding their American disarmament agenda.”
I don’t know if there is an easier myth to debunk since arms manufacturers and dealers clearly label their semi-automatic, military-style rifles for civilian use, including AR15s and AK-47s, “ASSAULT RIFLES“. The arms manufacturers and dealers correctly label their own products. They are the experts, NOT right-wingers spreading the myth/lie in blogs and site comments.
From the websites of arms manufacturers and dealers:
“We strive to manufacture the most precision and accurate AR15 assault rifles on the planet”.
“Our rifles and parts are the genuine article. TAM AR15 rifles are the only rifles available to sportsmen, hunters and other shooters that are manufactured in the TAM factory and based on the same military standards and specifications as the United States issue M16 rifle and M4 carbine. TAM customers want the best AR15, and none of TAM’s competitors can match the quality, reliability, accuracy and performance built into every TAM AR15 rifle.”
“Every foreign assault rifle is designed in exact specifications of its original manufacturer but made in our factory in the USA. We have taken the original designs and added the precision manufacturing that only the USA can make and created assault rifles superior to the original.”
Proguns.com, where the page file is “assaultrifles.asp” and the title of their site says “Welcome to ProGuns.com, Your Online Store for AR 15 Assault Rifles… “. In that page you’ll find the statements, “The most popular of the assault rifles, the AR 15 is perfect for any gun enthusiast looking for a well-rounded firearm.” and “All of the AR 15 rifles assault rifles for sale at ProGuns.com are built with the best materials.”.
And then there is Top Gun Firearms which sells “Rock River Arms AR 15 Assault Rifles“.
AssaultRiflesForSale.net. The name says it all.
Top Gun Supply’s page entitled “AK-47 Assault Rifles For Sale“.
When we “liberals” refer to semi-automatic, military-style AR-15s like the Bushmaster model used in the Newtown massacre as an “assault rifle”, we are quoting arms manufacturers and dealers, or the experts. We are correct. The conservatives who spread the myth/lie are incorrect.