I realized that I was not entirely fair to Phyllis Schlafly in my previous post. In addition to the old-fashioned, backwards-thinking, racist statements you would expect to hear from an elderly person in their late-eighties, I did not give her credit for the outrageous statements she’s given on many other topics. Check out these gems:
- The flight from the home is a flight from yourself, from responsibility, from the nature of woman, in pursuit of false hopes and fading illusions. (1977)
- Sexual harassment on the job is not a problem for virtuous women. (1991)
- Out went the Ten Commandments, in came condoms. Out went the Cross and pictures of Christ, in came drawings of apes pretending to walk like humans. Out went Adam and Eve, in came Heather Has Two Mommies. Out went Easter, in came Earth Day. Out went teachings against homosexuality, in came teachings in favor of homosexuality.
(2002 – fyi: her gay son came-out in 1992)
- The outburst by feminist professors simply confirms the stereotype … that they are too emotional to handle intellectual or scientific debate. (2005)
- Putting women in military combat is the cutting edge of the feminist goal to force us into an androgynous society. (2005)
- Men should stop treating feminists like ladies, and instead treat them like the men they say they want to be. (2005)
Oh Jesus, I thought I could continue with a long list of quotes, but reading her bullshit is like listening to any old fart and their racist, sexist, homophobic bullshit. Its not worth my time. People used to say that once the next generation dies, racism, sexism and homophobia will die with them. Unfortunately, I think the radical right will raise a whole new generation of these idiots based on the outdated nonsense of authors like Schlafly.