Democrats believe in ideals and principles that benefit all Americans, with opportunity and justice for all, devoid of discrimination based on one’s status, age, race, creed, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
From the Democratic National Committee:
For more than 200 years, Democrats have represented the interests of working families, fighting for equal opportunities and justice for all Americans.
Our party was founded on the conviction that wealth and privilege shouldn’t be an entitlement to rule and the belief that the values of hardworking families are the values that should guide us.
We didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world by rewarding greed and recklessness or by letting those with the most influence write their own rules. We got here by rewarding hard work and responsibility, by investing in people, and by growing our country from the bottom up.
Today Democrats are fighting to repair a decade of damage and grow an economy based on the values of Main Street, not greed and reckless speculation. Democrats are focused on rescuing our economy not just in the short run but also rebuilding our economy for the long run—an economy that lifts up not just some Americans, but all Americans.
From the Democratic Strategist - the core principles, ideals and beliefs identified in presidential quotes:
- We are a national community based on a commitment to social justice. (Franklin Roosevelt)
- America’s national security must be based on democratic alliances and the security of the global commons. (Harry Truman)
- As a republic, our citizens owe a duty of participation in the public life of our nation. (John Kennedy)
- Our party is committed to equality and justice for all. (Lyndon Johnson)
Click any link to go directly to that item in the platform.
- Putting Americans Back to Work
- The Middle Class Bargain
- Cutting Waste, Reducing the Deficit, Asking All to Pay Their Fair Share
- Economy Built to Last
- Wall Street Reform
- 21st Century Government: Transparent and Accountable
- Lobbying Reform and Campaign Finance Reform
- Strengthening the American Community
- Protecting Rights and Freedoms
- Ensuring Safety and Quality of Life
- Responsibly Ending the War in Iraq
- Disrupting, Dismantling, and Defeating Al-Qaeda
- Responsibly Ending the War in Afghanistan
- Preventing the Spread and Use of Nuclear Weapons
- Countering Emerging Threats
- Strengthening Alliances, Expanding Partnerships, and Reinvigorating International Institutions
- Promoting Global Prosperity and Development
- Maintaining the Strongest Military in the World
- Advancing Universal Values