Democrats believe in ideals and principles that benefit all Americans, with opportunity and justice for all, devoid of discrimination based on one’s status, age, race, creed, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
According to Forbes, the nation has done much better under Democratic presidents:
- Personal disposable income has grown nearly 6 times more under Democratic presidents.
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP) has grown 7 times more under Democratic presidents.
- Corporate profits have grown over 16% more per year under Democratic presidents (they actually declined under Republicans by an average of 4.53%/year).
- Average annual compound return on the stock market has been 18 times greater under Democratic presidents (If you invested $100k for 40 years of Republican administrations you had $126k at the end, if you invested $100k for 40 years of Democrat administrations you had $3.9M at the end).
- Republican presidents added 2.5 times more to the national debt than Democratic presidents.
- The two times the economy steered into the ditch (Great Depression and Great Recession) were during Republican, laissez faire administrations.
From the Democratic National Committee:
For more than 200 years, Democrats have represented the interests of working families, fighting for equal opportunities and justice for all Americans.
Our party was founded on the conviction that wealth and privilege shouldn’t be an entitlement to rule and the belief that the values of hardworking families are the values that should guide us.
We didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world by rewarding greed and recklessness or by letting those with the most influence write their own rules. We got here by rewarding hard work and responsibility, by investing in people, and by growing our country from the bottom up.
Today Democrats are fighting to repair a decade of damage and grow an economy based on the values of Main Street, not greed and reckless speculation. Democrats are focused on rescuing our economy not just in the short run but also rebuilding our economy for the long run—an economy that lifts up not just some Americans, but all Americans.
From the Democratic Strategist – the core principles, ideals and beliefs identified in presidential quotes:
- We are a national community based on a commitment to social justice. (Franklin Roosevelt)
- America’s national security must be based on democratic alliances and the security of the global commons. (Harry Truman)
- As a republic, our citizens owe a duty of participation in the public life of our nation. (John Kennedy)
- Our party is committed to equality and justice for all. (Lyndon Johnson)
The Draft 2016 DNC Platform: